USING THE ARCHIVES
Please note that public access to materials is available at Harare and Bulawayo archives. Materials relating to the Matabeleland region are available from the Bulawayo Archives while materials relating to the rest of the country are available from the Harare Archives
- Researchers intending to use the reading room should produce a Positive identification (ID, Passport or Drivers licence)
- US$1.00 entrance fee.
- Non Citizens will only be admitted if they can produce Research Permit or a temporary employment Permit.
Using the reading room
- Only lead pencils may be used in the reading room.
- The Reading Room remains open during the lunch hour (between 1 to 2pm) but there are no retrieval and photocopying services during lunch.
- A research assistant will be at the control desk by the reading room to assist you.
- Bags are not allowed in the reading room, they must be left at the reception.
- You may only bring those items required for your research (research notes, note books, a laptop, a tape recorder etc)
- Personal books text books are not allowed in the reading room
No archives materials may leave the archives building.
- An administrative regulation of 25 pages per person per week applies.
- Researchers are restricted to a maximum of a third of an archival item and this is cumulative.
- You can bring your portable scanners and devices for document reproduction but you can only do the reproduction on supervision of a research officer. see copying options
- All materials are subject to copyright regulations. Copyright clearance is the obligation of the user, and the National Archives is not responsible for any copyright violations by its clients. The National Archives’ role is only limited to providing the information on copyright status for the materials. Otherwise, it is entirely the role of the user to ascertain and carryout copyright clearance of materials.
- Detailed information on use and copyright status for different materials is found at individual sections of the NAZ responsible for the concerned materials.